Subdivision Application and Review Procedure
The following is a brief presentation of the steps an applicant can follow to file an application for a subdivision of land in the Town of Wilton.
This presentation has been made available to applicants for general informational purposes only and does not purport to include every requirement or regulation which may be required by the Wilton Town Code or State and Federal Laws. The requirements applicable to your project will vary according to the details of the proposed project.
Any questions about this process should be directed to either Lucy Harlow, the Planning Department Secretary or to Ryan K. Riper, P.E., the Director of Planning and Engineering. The phone number is (518) 587-1939 ext. 211.
Phase 1: Pre-Application Conference
- The owner/representative shall present project design information so that the Planning Board and the Director of Planning and Engineering can determine the feasibility of project before owner has invested a substantial amount of money.
- To set up a meeting with the Director of Planning and Engineering,
call Lucy Harlow at 587-1939 ext. 211
or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Subdivision Plat Application , a subdivision map and Part I of the the NYS Full Environmental Assessment Form FEAF must be completed and submitted to the Planning Department for review.
For instructions on how to complete the FEAF, follow the SEQR - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation link at the bottom of this page.
- A determination by the Zoning Officer will be made as to whether any variances will be required.
- If variances are needed, an application to the Zoning Board of Appeals (“ZBA”) will have to be filed.
Compliance with Zoning Ordinance
- If it is determined that the subdivision plan doesn’t conform to the Wilton Zoning Ordinance, the appeal filed with the ZBA will be referred to the Planning Board for its recommendation.
- The ZBA meets every 4th Thursday at 7 PM.
Phase II: Conceptual Application
- Conceptual submission: submit two sets of subdivision prints no larger that 30” x 42”; eleven 11” x 17” overall subdivision plan maps and eleven copies of the subdivision application and FEAF.
- Fees will be determined after the application is deemed complete.
- All applications are due 15 days before the Planning Board meeting.
- The Planning Board meets every 3rd Wednesday at 6:30 PM.
Emergency Services Notification
- Applicant must submit subdivision plans to the local emergency service agencies by Certified Mail-Return Receipt Requested. The agencies have 30 days to review and comment.
Use the link below for for instructions.
- The Planning Board Secretary can advise you which emergency service agencies have jurisdiction.
- Please submit any comments made by the agencies to the secretary along with the returned green cards.
Planning Board Meeting
- If the applicant’s submission is deemed complete and the application fees are paid, the applicant will receive an agenda the Friday before the Planning Board Meeting.
- The applicant will make the presentation at the meeting.
- The Planning Board will discuss the conceptual application and approve, disapprove or approve the application. It has 45 days from the meeting date to render its decision.
(Town Code §109-16 B)
- At the scheduled time, applicant may present the preliminary subdivision plan.
- Members of the public will be asked for questions and comments by the Planning Board Chairman.
- The Planning Board Chairman will close the public hearing when everyone has been heard.
- State Environmental Quality Review Act or SEQRA: after the Planning Board has reviewed all the comments and any opinions/concerns expressed by any individuals, agencies, or consultants, a discussion of the FEAF and determination on SEQRA may be made.
Phase IV: Final Review
- After receiving both conditional and preliminary approval, with or without modifications, from the Planning Board, applicant may submit a final subdivision plan. §109-18 K.
- If the final submission shall conform to the approved preliminary submission and shall contain any modification specified by the Board.
- In the event a final submission is not made within six months from the date of conditional approval, the application may be considered withdrawn and any conditional approval or waivers of required improvements by the Board may be considered lapsed. §109-18 B.
- A check set must be submitted for review by the Town Engineer and Building Code Enforcement Officer. Upon approval of the check set, the final mylars and prints can be submitted for signature by the Planning Board Chairman.
- All fees must be paid before final mylars are signed.
- The Town requires one mylar and one print with all original approval stamps of the required state agencies and local authorities. All sheets shall be 30” by 42” and not less the 8 ½ by 14 inches. Applicant should provide enough copies for signature as are needed for filing with the County and his or her own purposes.
- Applicant has 30 days after the date of the Planning Board approval to file the final plat with the Saratoga County Clerk’s office. If the plat is not filed within this time, the approval shall expire, as provided in § 276 of the Town Law.
- A subdivision construction checklist will be provided.
- A signed and stamped set of the final subdivision plans will need to be electronically scanned and the scan in either a PDF or TIFF file format must be downloaded to a CD.
- The CD will be provided to the Planning Board Secretary.
- An 11” x 17” overall subdivision plan must also be provided.
Additional Resources and Links